Deadline: February 9, 2020
Salary: $37,259.44 Annually
This is an application for the position of Firefighter Trainee. Applications received by February 9, 2020 will be considered for Recruit Class 2001, which is tentatively scheduled for August of 2020.
The Firefighter Trainee is an entry-level fire suppression, prevention, and emergency response position for the Charleston Fire Department (CFD). Upon successful completion of the required recruit academy, personnel will progress into the position of a probationary firefighter.
The recruit academy is focused on training and preparing the candidate to meet specific standards of the CFD. The program includes classroom instruction and hands on training in firefighter techniques, search and rescue, vehicle extrication, emergency medical services, firefighter survival, and the use of various firefighting tools and equipment. The candidate will work an 8-hour shift (overtime, nights, and weekends may be required) and upon completion will typically move to a 24 on, 48 off standard firefighter shift schedule or another work schedule, at the department’s discretion.
Physical Tasks and Environmental Conditions:
The CFD recruit academy program uses Peer Fitness and Practical Skill fitness training. Our Peer Fitness Instructors are certified ACE trainers.
Candidates must be able to climb ladders and stairs and work at considerable heights; lift, carry, drag, pull and push very heavy weights; perform work in physically demanding and adverse conditions including heat, smoke, fire, high temperatures, humidity and cramped spaces (exposure to allergenic and potentially harmful substances and dust exist).
- 18 years of age or older at time of application
- High school diploma or equivalent received by time of contingent offer
- Valid state issued driver’s license
⁂ See “Immediate Disqualifiers” for a listing of concerns, which may deem an applicant unable to continue in the process.
- High School Diploma or equivalent and/or College Degree received by time of contingent offer
- Certified driving record from each state you have held a driver’s license (10-years total) (if applicable)
- Military discharge – DD214 (if applicable)
- EMT/Paramedic certification (if applicable)
- Current CPAT certification (if applicable)
⁂ Applications without required documents will not be accepted.
Apply online at www.charleston-sc.gov/employment
• Only online applications will be accepted
* Before applying, please read this guide in its entirety.
Applicants meeting the minimum requirements and who submit a completed application may be selected to proceed in the following:
• Applicants must pass the TEAS test to proceed to the Physical Ability Test (PAT).
- EssayQuestions–Applicantswillbeaskedtoprovideresponsestoaseriesof questions. Candidates will move forward based on highest to lowest evaluation scores and based on department needs.
certificate or have passed the CFD administered PAT with the minimum required passing score within the past 12 months from February 9, 2020.
• Applicants who pass the PAT will be eligible for an oral board interview
As a condition of employment. Selected candidates must successfully pass a Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS), background check, pass a comprehensive medical, and psychological evaluation. Selection will be based on overall qualifications, oral board interview process, and the needs of the City.
⁂ Applicants will be selected based on the department needs for future recruit academies
VETERANS – We are thankful for your service!
Preference Points : A five-point preference will be awarded on the TEAS test for honorably discharged veterans or service members currently serving in the United States Armed Forces.
The City of Charleston offers a competitive total compensation package to supplement hourly pay rates.
- Group health, dental, vision insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- Police Officers Retirement System (PORS)
- Optional deferred compensation plans
- Vacation leave
- Paid sick leave
- Optional life insurance and disability
- Veteran on-the-job training
- Tuition reimbursement
- Wellness programs to include discounted corporate gym membership and gym
- Paid Holidays
**Benefit information provided is a summary only and is subject to change. Full details will be provided at time of employment and take precedence to any information provided here.
If you have additional questions, contact us at email@example.com
CLICK HERE TO APPLY!